Thursday, July 24, 2008

Meet Mike Kimbrough


Titled "Baton Rouge Riverfront," this beautiful image is a shot of the dock which goes out into the Mississippi River in downtown Baton Rouge.

Mike is 54 and lives in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.  This is what he had to say about himself as a photographer:

"I started getting interested in photography while in Japan in 1974 with a purchase of a Minolta 101 SLR.  I must have taken thousands of shots trying to figure out how to get a good picture.  When I returned from Japan my grandfather sat me down and just critiqued the heck out of my photos- explaining in detail every mistake I made.  It was quite humiliating but he taught me a lot.  If he was alive today he would probably still be ripping me apart on what I do wrong.  He was a wonderful photographer that started taking pictures with sheet film cameras and a light meter and he really gave me an appreciation for photography.  I am now into the digital age of photography but really like to focus on getting a good shot with my camera and not depend on post processing.  I typically try to keep my pictures as realistic as possible, although I do sway into post processing manipulation some just for fun.  I have so much to learn and am probably my own worst critic.  I keep trying though."


Mike's Equipment:
"I Just got a new Pentax K200D with the standard 18-55mm lens. I use primarily Adobe Lightroom to crop and adjust brightness and contrast.  I also have Photoshop Elements but haven't figured it all out yet.  I mostly need more lenses at the moment so I don't have to zoom and crop as much."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really cool effect. Since Mike isn't that in to post processing this photo was probably harder to take than we may think.

Escapist said...

Coolers!

I like it!

Anonymous said...

Love it.

Thumbs up!

cwoodf1 said...

I like it too. Reminds me that I've always wanted to go downtown and take real night pictures of the river and the sites, the bridge etc..
Baton Rouge is really pretty :)